Happy National Trivia Day!
Here is our top 10 list of Medicare trivia everyone should know.
- Medicare Part A helps cover hospital costs.
- President Lyndon B. Johnson signed Medicare into law in on July 30, 1965.
- Nearly all Americans over age 65 are covered under Medicare today.
- Medicare Part D helps cover Prescription Drugs.
- You are still eligible for Medicare at age 65 even if your age for full retirement benefits from Social Security is 66.
- The Sound of Music won the Academy Award for Best Picture the year that Medicare was enacted (1965).
- Harry S. Truman is the first U.S. president to receive a Medicare card.
- Medicare Part B helps cover doctors services.
- Before Medicare, 48% of Americans 65 and older had no insurance; today, it is 2%.
- The Social Security Administration was the agency responsible for administering Medicare from 1965 until 1977.